Sunday, October 20, 2013

Wedding Basics: Requirements for a Marriage License

In a sudden (and surprising) turn of events, I now find myself a Bride-to-be. I started 2013, totally clueless, that I would even be getting married before the year ends! 

The day we decided to get hitched, was the day I started researching too! It's so amazing how much the Internet can help, with so much information from forums, blogs, embassies, law office sites, etc. I quickly checked the requirements we need, what needs to be done first, etc. I must say, I have found a lot. Mostly from other bloggers as well. But, why you ask, am I still blogging about this when there's a lot of blog posts about it already? What makes mine different?

I am going to make it a little bit more detailed. Every little thing, to the last detail of every step.

(Just a Disclaimer: This applies only for marriages involving a Foreigner - in our case, a US citizen, and a Filipina - me! Also, the procedures I'm about to discuss in detail, applies only for the Parañaque City Hall. I'm not exactly sure if all City Halls have the same requirement.)

For either a Civil or Church Wedding, you definitely need to get a Marriage License first!

REQUIREMENTS:


I got this one from the Civil Registrar's office in Paranaque.

To save time and not waste gas, it's important to try to run errands in one day. So before heading out the door, here's what you need to do on your DAY ONE: request from NSO, and make an appointment with the US Embassy.


STEP 1.
For the Filipino: Make a request and order your NSO Birth Certificate and CENOMAR (Certificate of No Marriage) online via E-census (http://www.ecensus.com.ph) or NSO HelpLine (https://nsohelpline.com).

I ordered mine from E-census, thinking that those 2 websites I mentioned earlier were one and the same. Good thing I already have a birth certificate at home, so I just needed a CENOMAR. But just to give you an idea, the birth certificate costs Php300 per copy. The CENOMAR from E-census costs around Php415, as compared to NSO HelpLine's Php450. I made an over-the-counter payment at BDO. As it is Php35 cheaper, I had a little difficulty with E-census with regards to getting confirmation from them if they already received the payment, nor check the status of my request. You can actually check status of request online through their website, but unfortunately, it wasn't working. I had to send them an e-mail twice.

As I was checking other blogs, I later found out that the processing of my CENOMAR from E-census, takes 11-15 days. I panicked for a while, thinking that we might run out of time, as the target wedding date is already next month - November. Fortunately, E-census pulled through, they replied to my e-mail, and after maybe 3 or 4 days, I received my CENOMAR.


STEP 2.
In our case, since he is a foreigner (US Citizen), he needs a Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage from his Embassy. It is a requirement of the Philippine government, for foreigners who wish to marry a Filipino.

Make an appointment with the US Embassy via their website (https://evisaforms.state.gov/acs/default.asp?postcode=MNL&appcode=1). To know more about this process, visit the US Embassy website (http://manila.usembassy.gov).
Choose "US Citizen Services" on the left hand menu, then click on "Getting Married in the Philippines" option.

Once you have made an appointment, you will need to print a confirmation page. The US citizen needs to bring this on the day of his appointment, together with his passport and the $50 fee (or peso equivalent). It was actually a pretty quick process. A consular officer asks the US citizen some questions, make him sign some papers, and had him swear that he is indeed, currently single and able to marry. You get the certificate a few minutes later.


TIP: On the day of the appointment, make it a productive day by making the payment for your NSO documents as well, and going to your Barangay Hall for a Barangay Clearance.


STEP 3:
Get a Barangay Clearance.

Here is a sample Barangay ID & Clearance Form from Barangay BF.


Check first with your village office if they have this form (and most probably they do). If not, just get one from the Barangay Hall in BF. (How to get to the Barangay Hall: from Sucat Road, turn to President's Ave. Go straight then turn right on Aguirre Ave. Turn right on the street before the gate. Go straight. The Barangay Hall would be on your left.)

You have to include a 1x1 ID photo and make sure that the Homeowner Association President of your village/subdivision has signed your form.

Once completed and signed, bring this form to the Barangay Hall and they will make you a Barangay Clearance.


Once finished, you need to pay Php30 for the Barangay Clearance. You can also get your cedula (Community Tax Certificate) here too for Php7.20.



Make sure you affix your signature on the Barangay Clearance, stamp your thumbprints, and fill up the Res. Cert No. (the number on your Cedula) , Issued on (place issued on cedula), and Issued at fields. 


So, in one day:

☑️   NSO Birth Certificate (make payment)
☑️   CENOMAR (make payment)
☑️   Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage
☑️   Barangay Clearance

We're basically done! Just make 3 photocopies of each requirement, since the Civil Registrar needs 3 copies and that you can keep 1 copy for your documentation as well. Don't forget to photocopy the foreigner's passport - the first page and the page where it indicates his last date of arrival in the Phils. Also, if he has a working visa, try to photocopy that too, in case they question his visa validity.

Check my next blog on detailed steps in Applying for the Marriage License.

2 comments:

  1. I am currently back in the srates after getting married in Parañaque, we married at my wife's church and I had to catch my flight back home soon after, how do I check the Parañaque city marriage issuance department to see if our marriage license is on file?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Do both the bride and the groom need barangay clearance? Or Just the one who is a resident of Paranaque>

    ReplyDelete